Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Spring 2009

With spring here and some free time on my hands before starting my new job, I am realizing it has been almost 2 years since I updated this gardening blog. I've already been busy this spring and have loved having time to work in the yard.

The biggest addition to the yard has been our privacy fence that includes a trellis over one of the gates. On the outsides of the trellis I planted a red climbing rose on one side and a trumpet vine on the other. On the insides, I planted Carolina Jessamine. First Fence of Georgia, located here in Cobb County, built the fence and I could not be more pleased. Here are some before and after photos:

Before on 2/25/09:




After as of 3/6/09:

trellis from the front
trellis from inside the backyard

from the back of the backyard
trumpet vine

climbing all ablaze, planted 3/7/09

I have already weeded and mulched the majority of the flower/garden beds in the front and backyard, including my climbing roses. There are also several things starting to bloom/bud.


forsythia, 3/12/09

Easter Lillies from my grandmother's funeral last year, 3/12/09
camellia in front yard, 3/12/09


me in front of my willow tree on my birthday :)
willow tree bean-shaped bed, 3/12/09


This year I sowed a bed full of wildflower seeds and added an additional blueberry bush to the two I already have from last year. I planted some sunflower seeds in peat pots to get them started last week; I left them out in the open on the patio and birds have eaten them! So, I planted some more and have them perched up on the sill of the screened-in porch. I also saw a member of the chipmunk family that lives in one of the railroad ties near the patio.

new blueberry bush

sunflowers that the birds atebasil

mr. chipmunk
I added an additional bird house in the backyard and potted several annuals for the patio. The "mailbox garden's" jasmine is growing nicely. Today I created a new flower bed I may turn into a "peace garden." The only two plants in the bed thus far are 2 "peace" climbing roses. I also ordered a rain barrel from Rain Barrels in Georgia, which is based here in Cobb County, due to water restrictions here in Cobb County. I ordered a brown one. I set up 4 cinder blocks today (using a level) to perch the rain barrel on in order to get water from the spigot.

No comments: