Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Group, Workshop and Raised Bed




Last night was the first session of "Seeds of Hope." We have 4 families participating, all who have similar concerns. I think it is going to be a wonderful group. At my supervisor's suggestion, I wrote up an abstract and submitted it to present this program at a national conference. I should find out by April if it is accepted. Tomorrow night I am assisting with a presentation to a local organization about the environmental programming at Ford and how my program is utilizing ecotherapy to help families. I am all fired up about this.


John and I attended the "Introduction to Permaculture" workshop this past weekend. It was very eye opening and all week, I have had a heightened awareness about how much we waste and how we humans, especially Americans, have developed the mentality that throwing something in the trash means it is gone. Nope, it isn't. It ends up in landfills and in places like the North Pacific Gyre. We are changing things for the worse even though we think we are almighty. If you really meditate on what we are doing, it is disgusting. Humans think that we have dominion over nature rather than being a partner. As Carl Sagan so aptly said, "We are a way for the Cosmos to know itself," so in essence, we are destroying ourselves.

Bob Burns teaching the group about edible "famine food."









After the workshop on Saturday, we built a raised bed on Sunday for me to use for organic vegetable gardening. I wondered if I really needed a raised bed after the workshop. We learned a lasagna technique where you put compost/manure right on top of vegetation/weeds and then place cardboard boxes on top of that to smother the existing vegetation/control weeds. The next step is placing mulch on the cardboard and then finally punch holes in the cardboard with a spade and add compost to the hole and then plant the seedling.

No comments: